Happy New Year!



The New Year is upon us! I would do an introspective post, challenging myself to look deeper within in an attempt to see how I've changed (or failed to) in the past year, but that just doesn't seem fun at the moment. Instead, I'll opt to do a list of my Favorites of 2009.

Favorite book:
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Out of all the books I read this year, this one has managed to stick with me. Murakami is truly a prolific author with his incredibly vivid descriptions and ethereal characters. I'm only two hundred or so pages into Kafka on the Shore -- is it possible to name someone your favorite author after a book and how ever many pages?

Favorite new band discovery:
Oddly enough, their name is Discovery. An amalgam of Vampire Weekend and Ra Ra Riot, this band has found a way into my heart after one listen-through of "Osaka Loop Line." It's an instant favorite. On second thought, since I'm conflicted with choosing between fun. and Discovery, I'll list both.

Favorite new TV show:
Easily Community. While The Office has hilarious intros, Community never fails to impress with its outros. The Spanish Rap with Abed and Troy is my favorite to date. I was wary of seeing this when the first promo commercials were shown and I'm glad I gave it a chance because it brings the LOLs. Oh, and Modern Family is a very close second.

Favorite movie:
(500) Days of Summer. The relatable plot, the local haunts featured such as Point Fermin Park and Bunker Hill, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's heart-warming smile, Zooey Deschanel's amazing wardrobe and the soundtrack -- what's not to love?

Favorite adventure:
Going down to Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach late into the night with friends, laying a few towels down and catching up. While that was nice on its own, the addition of lighting sparklers and having a mini rave on the sand brought the night up a few notches. We're a fun group.

Favorite revived friendship:
Definitely Anthony. We've hardly had any downs in our four year friendship, but we drifted far away from one another after I graduated. A friendship only to be brought back a hundred-fold the past few weeks. He was saved this past summer and never in a million years did we think that our friendship would turn into fellowship, but it has. He took me to his church on Tuesday, hence my happy tweet from that evening. I'm blessed to have him in my life.

Favorite social networking site:
Sorry, Blogspot, but Tumblr has stolen my heart when it comes to short bursts of writing, inspiring photos and new bands to come across.

As an afterthought, add the following to your dance party playlists for tonight! It's an amazing mash-up of Billboard's Top 25 hits of this year.

I'm running out of time, so I'll have to cut this short. Tonight will be low-key and will be spent with a few lovely people -- my kind of evening. Hope everyone has a blessed New Year! Have fun. Get crunk. And make resolutions that you'll forget in a few weeks. Cheers.

Comments

11 Responses to "Happy New Year!"

Emily said... January 1, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Happy New Year to you too! :) So fun to start a new year over... Hope it's a good one.

Kyla Roma said... January 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Thank you so much for visiting my site! You should have commented earlier- yours is beautiful! I'm excited to add it to my must reads =)

I love your re-cap, I'm so jealous of sparklers on the beach! I might have to steal that idea when we lose the permafrost ;)

Emily Jane said... January 1, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I just found your blog (actually *through* Kyla!) and it's lovely; I'm looking forward to reading more in 2010! And I've heard all sorts of wonderful things about 500 Days of Summer... it's next on my rent list :)

Anonymous said... January 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I love Vampire Weekend! So, I guess, that means I'll have to look into Discovery?

(500) Days of Summer has definitely captured my heart as one of the best films of the year. I can definitely relate to the story. It arises so much truth and brings so much to the table, like, I believe in love, but I also know that science can easily explain that type of emotion (chemical processes in the brain, and so on). I think that anyone can be in love, but the type or complexity of love certainly changes with age and scenario. And as for fate, I actually don’t believe in free will, I absolutely believe in fate. And ass far as soulmates go… I think that the idea of it is a bit hokey to be honest, but who am I to judge? AND, the soundtrack is amazing.

And I agree, Tumblr is much more of a convience when it comes to those random sparks of ideas, quotes, and pictures. I have both, but I still yet have to master the art of transitioning between the two.

I hope you've enjoyed your New Year and all! :)

Brent said... January 2, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Happy New Year!
I LOVEEEE Community. It's hilarious. I think Arrested Development was the best of all time, but Community is really making a dent in my life right now.

"Buenos dias, me gustas papas fritas, la bigote de la cabra es CAMERON DIAZ".

Best. Ever. But a close second is when they try Krumping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8kKbbdJTFA

Gracie said... January 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM

It's always fun to look back and reflect! I should have done a favourites of 2009 post. Oh well..looking into the future.

I your year is full of blessings, happiness and just plain awesome!

Anonymous said... January 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM

I agree, I love 500 days of Summer, Zooey Deschanel is the best!

AVY said... January 6, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Yes, it's possible to name someone your favorite author after a book and how ever many pages. I've heard Kafka on the shore is a strange one.

Brent said... January 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Haha yeah, 2010! I think one of 2010's new discovery's will be the show Arrested Development once you start watching it. Careful, it's addictive. Thanks for reading

katieleigh said... January 7, 2010 at 4:27 AM

i love 500 days of summer too :)

You Are My Fave said... January 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I FINALLY saw 500 days this week and I loved it just as much as I assumed I would.


Currently listening: