Another Sketchbook Snapshot.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was watching a re-run of LA Ink yesterday and this one young lady came in with this quote from Emerson. She said that as a fifteen-year-old girl, she used to think about the meaning of the word "success" and how she hated the definition we've put on the word as a society. What a profound way of thinking at such a young age! I thought. In our generation, we automatically think of material ways to define success - money, a big house, numerous cars, the latest technology, the list goes on and on. She had this quote tattooed on her, coupled with an orange blossom tree to remind herself what the true definition really is on a daily basis. She wanted to hold herself accountable and I absolutely fell in love with the idea. While I wouldn't get this as a permanent tattoo on my body, I felt that documenting it in this sketchbook was the next best thing. I constantly bring myself down for not being society's definition of "successful." I should learn to look at the smaller things and realize that I am successful in those regards. And to put it bluntly, those kinds of achievements in life will go further than the materialistic forms of success, right?

Hiatus from Blogspot; lurk Tumblr for updates! Trust & pixie dust.

Comments

6 Responses to "Another Sketchbook Snapshot."

Anonymous said... January 20, 2010 at 4:14 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said... January 21, 2010 at 10:03 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
katieleigh said... January 21, 2010 at 11:51 PM

I like watching Miami Ink to hear all the stories behind the tattoos, they're normally very interesting and inspiring.. except for the occasional few which are just really pathetic hah

Post Grad Hair Cut said... January 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I love this quote. I relate to her. I am interested in business and in being an entrepreneur. But my picture of success is doing something I love and making enough money for a comfortable life. Not to make millions of dollars.

Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said... January 28, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I know what you mean, people compare materialistic items with wealth status. Life is just one big rat race.

And, no haitus! Master the art of using both, pleaseeee.

Aquiles Damiron-Alcantara said... February 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Hey!

I just found your blog and I am happy I did!!!

I completely agree with your view on success. Seriously, what is it?

Society defines success in many ways, from academic success to material, economic, and family. But, really what is it?

At the end of the day, if we are happy with the plan we sketched for our life, if we have met all of our goals, if we are still looking forward to tomorrow, then we have found success.

I have started to follow you. I hope to come by often. :-)

Con aprecio,
Aquiles


Currently listening: